York Region District School Board and York Region Public Health continue to work closely together and take all appropriate steps for the health, safety and well-being of our school community. We want to remind our community about updates to our protocols and screening guidance since reopening on February 16th 2021.
Health and Safety Measures
As the board has previously communicated, there are some new health and safety measures in place, including:
- Masks are now required for students in Grades 1-12. Students in kindergarten are strongly encouraged to wear masks.
- York Region Public Health is recommending that students wear three-layer masks. Two layer masks are permitted if they are clean and fit appropriately.
- Masks are now required outdoors, during recess as well as in common areas, in addition to in-class.
- Students are discouraged from congregating before and after school. Families dropping off and picking up their children at school are reminded to wear masks and not congregate while on school property.
- We will continue to reinforce hand hygiene practices.
Updated screening guidance
Please remember that all students and staff are required to complete the York Region Public Health School and Child-Care Screening Tool every day.
Important information from the screening:
- If a student or staff member has ONE symptom of COVID-19 they are required to stay home from school and child-care and get tested for COVID-19 at an Assessment Centre.
- If anyone in a household has travelled outside of Canada, everyone must stay home from school and child-care until the 14-day quarantine period has finished, except for essential reasons.
- If anyone in your household is sick and has not tested negative for COVID-19, or does not have an alternative diagnosis from a health-care provider, all others in the household must stay home from school and child-care until the results are known or an alternative diagnosis is provided.
- If someone in the household is identified as a high-risk/close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case, the whole household is required to stay home from school for the 14-day quarantine period, except for essential reasons.
We thank you for your support in keep our schools safe. Please visit york.ca/safeatschool for up to date information on Public Health measures related to school reopening.